2019 TOMODACHI Emerging Leaders Program Application
Please read carefully and complete the form below to apply for the 2019 TOMODACHI Emerging Leaders Program.
Please make note of these important dates when submitting your application.
- Application deadline: Sunday, July 21, 2019, 11:59 pm PDT
- Application review period: July - August
- Notifications: Early September via email to all applicants
- Pre-Conference Orientation Call: Date TBD
2019 U.S.-Japan Council Annual Conference: November 1-5 in Los Angeles
Candidates for the TOMODACHI Emerging Leaders Program should meet the following criteria:
- Japanese American professionals 24-35 years of age at the time of the Conference
- Hold U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residency
- Applicants must reside in the United States or Japan, and must be available to travel to Los Angeles for the Annual Conference in November
- Strong interest in U.S.-Japan relations as demonstrated through professional, academic, extra-curricular or community involvement
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Commitment to remain involved in U.S.-Japan relations by engaging in U.S.-Japan Council programs and initiatives, and other activities regionally and nationally
In making the final selection, the following will also be given consideration:
- Regional representation
- Gender balance
- Diversity of professional backgrounds and experience in U.S.-Japan relations
What you receive
Selected applicants will receive transportation, hotel accommodations, meals, and Conference registration. Additionally, at the Conference they will become U.S.-Japan Council Associates with the first year's membership dues waived (membership is normally by invitation and nomination).
What you need to apply
Please have the following documents ready upon submission of your application below. All materials must be in English.
- Personal Statement
- Letter of Recommendation (limit 2, may be submitted separately via email)
- Late or incomplete applications will not be reviewed
- We are unable to make exceptions to the stated age criteria for participants
- Selected applicants are expected to participate fully in all portions of the program
- Please indicate if you will be living in a different city prior to the Conference in the provided box below for appropriate regional consideration
NOTE: PROGRESS CANNOT BE SAVED ON THIS APPLICATION. Please plan to submit the form in one sitting.
If the form appears to be cut off in your browser, please place your cursor on the text and scroll down.