The U.S.-Japan Council is seeking an experienced accountant to support the Finance Department. The Accountant will have primary responsibility for day-to-day accounting functions and operational support for the U.S.-Japan Council (USJC) in the United States and Japan.
This position is in the Washington, DC headquarters’ office, and provides direct support to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in managing the financial operations for the WDC and Tokyo offices and staff working in California and Hawaii. The Accountant will be responsible for all accounting functions including but not limited to accounts payable, accounts receivable, month-end closing, account analysis, donor financial reporting, and general bookkeeping activities. The ideal candidate will have nonprofit experience, a working knowledge of accounting policies and procedures, exceptional organizational skills and ability to communicate effectively.
- Manage accounts payable: review vendor invoices for coding, accuracy and documentation, initiate payments, work with Program Managers to ensure timely payments are made to implementors, process outgoing wire transfers, oversee petty cash accounts and prepare for upcoming payments.
- Review and process daily incoming cash receipts and coordinate with Development and Membership Departments to ensure income received is properly recognized and recorded.
- Create and manage financial reporting and funds analysis for individual programs. This includes working with individual Program Managers to report on income and expense flows for the CFO, the President, and donors.
- Support the CFO in the preparation of monthly and year-end closing for U.S. and Japan entities.
- Manage coding of monthly credit card expenses, ensuring that expenses are properly recorded and paid in a timely manner.
- Manage virtual funds accounts such as PayPal and Crowdrise. This includes working with the Membership and Communications Departments to use other online software, such as WuFoo, to process registrations and payments.
- Reconcile monthly bank accounts.
- Assist in the implementation of the new accounting system, Sage Intacct.
- Reconcile monthly account balances such as: the inter-company (Due To/Due From) accounts, revenue/contribution accounts, and program expenses.
- Assist the CFO in the preparation of year-end audit and Form 990 schedules.
- Support the Finance, Audit, and Investment Committees by organizing the meetings, assembling the committee materials, and preparing the quarterly Committee minutes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSA’s)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Minimum two years of experience in accounting with a nonprofit organization preferred.
- Experience in Sage Intacct and QuickBooks accounting software preferred.
- Accounting experience in multi-country/currency preferred.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines, take initiative and work proactively.
- Commitment to professional ethics in working with confidential, sensitive information.
- Detail-oriented and organized, with the ability to successfully multi-task as necessary or requested.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in English required. Fluency in Japanese language is a plus.
- Strong communications skills, high degree of self-motivation and ability to work under pressure and time constraints.
- Extensive computer skills, including intermediate or higher level proficiency with Microsoft Office Excel and experience working with electronic donor tracking systems/databases.
- Work in office environment; heavy computer usage; requires lifting and carrying boxes of publications and banners up to 20 lbs.
- Occasional travel within the U.S. and to Japan
The U.S.-Japan Council is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please send CV (resume) and cover letter to: email@example.com, subject line, Accountant. Applications will be reviewed upon submission, with the intention to hire as soon as possible.