Director of Development (Washington, DC)
The Council seeks a candidate who is committed to the goals of the organization and can bring experience in fundraising, primarily with corporate and major donors that have vested interest in U.S.-Japan relations. We seek a candidate who will serve as a key member of the leadership team to develop mid- to long-term strategies in fundraising and work closely with staff and board leadership in the implementation of development plans.
This position offers an opportunity to make an impact in a growing non-profit and an opportunity to network with prominent leaders at the forefront of U.S.-Japan relations. Fluency in English is required and Japanese language proficiency is desirable.
- Plans, coordinates and implements development strategies in close consultation with the President and Board Development committee, primarily in the area of corporate and major donor fundraising.
- Maintains and grows relationships with existing donors through relationship building, development of marketing opportunities and annual renewals.
- Expands and diversifies the Council’s donor and prospect donor base to secure funding for new initiatives.
- Works with Board members, Council members, donors and others who assist in introducing the Council to new potential supporters.
- Explores new funding sources including but not limited to Japanese and U.S. corporate sponsorships, individuals, grants from private foundations and grants/contracts from the public sector.
- Staffs development committee meetings and works closely with the committee chair.
- Oversees the administration of donor recognition including acknowledgement processing and event marketing.
- Collaborates with program staff to effectively communicate about programs, recognize donors and identify potential donors. Works with program staff to write grant proposals and prepare reports to funders.
- Helps establish performance measures, review donor experience, monitor results and record best practices to evaluate the effectiveness of the fundraising process.
- Oversees the donor database and develops the existing system.
- Provides input in the annual budget and maintains development reporting system in coordination with the finance staff.
- Some travel and/or regular calls with key donors and potential donors in select U.S. regions and Japan.
For a full list of responsibilities, please view the job announcement.
- Substantial professional experience in fundraising and building partnerships with business and major donors.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work under deadlines, manage multiple priorities, and delegate effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively in teams with VIPs, Board members, staff members, and volunteers.
- High degree of initiative, positive attitude, attention to detail and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and on a team.
- Minimum of 5 years fundraising experience (required).
- Experience in U.S.-Japan relation activities (preferred).
- Bachelor’s degree (required); Master degree (preferred).
- Experience with fundraising database - Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce.com, etc. (preferred).
- Fluency in English (required) and Japanese (preferred).
How to Apply
Candidates should provide a cover letter, resume and 2-3 professional references to USJCDevelopment@usjapancouncil.org. Please make sure you submit all necessary information and documents. Successful candidates will be requested back for a phone or in-person interview.
Annual salary will be dependent on experience. The U.S.-Japan Council does not sponsor visas to work in the United States or fund relocation. It is preferable that the candidate reside in the greater Washington, D. C. area but consideration will be given to candidates that reside in another part of the United States.