TOMODACHI Emerging Leaders Program Application
Please read carefully and complete the form below to apply for the 2016 TOMODACHI Emerging Leaders Program.
Please make note of these important dates when submitting your application.
- Application deadline: Sunday, July 10, 2016, 11:00 pm Pacific Time
- Application review period: July - August
- Notifications: Mid-August via email to all applicants
- Pre-Conference Orientation Call: Date TBD
2016 U.S.-Japan Council Annual Conference: November 11-16 in Silicon Valley, CA
Candidates for the TOMODACHI Emerging Leaders Program should meet the following criteria:
- Japanese American professionals 24-35 years of age at the time of the Conference
- Applicants must reside in the United States or Japan, and must be available to travel to Silicon Valley, California from November 11-16, 2016
- Strong interest in U.S.-Japan relations as demonstrated through professional, academic, extra-curricular or community involvement
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Commitment to remain involved in U.S.-Japan relations by engaging in U.S.-Japan Council programs and initiatives, and other activities regionally and nationally
In making the final selection, the following will also be given consideration:
- Regional representation
- Gender balance
- Diversity of professional backgrounds
- Diversity of experience in U.S.-Japan relations
What you receive
Selected applicants will receive transportation, hotel accommodations, meals, and Conference registration. Additionally, at the Conference they will become U.S.-Japan Council Associates with the first year's membership dues waived (membership is normally by invitation and nomination).
What you need to apply
Please have the following documents ready upon submission of your application below:
- Professional Resume
- Personal Statement
- Letter of Recommendation (may be submitted separately via email)
- Late or incomplete applications will not be reviewed
- We are unable to make exceptions to the stated age criteria for participants
- Applicants must be available from November 11-16 to travel to Silicon Valley and are expected to participate fully in all portions of the program
- Please indicate if you plan to move prior to the Conference in the provided box below for appropriate regional consideration
NOTE: PROGRESS CANNOT BE SAVED ON THIS APPLICATION. Please plan to submit the form in one sitting.
If the form appears to be cut off in your browser, please place your cursor on the text and scroll down.