The Council seeks a talented, dynamic individual for a newly-created position of Executive Director, U.S.-Japan Council (Japan). The Executive Director will provide leadership and oversight of the Council’s general programs and activities and of the TOMODACHI Initiative. This will include responsibility for the implementation of program goals and objectives, providing leadership and oversight of program development and management, fundraising, communications and operations. The Executive Director will be based in Tokyo and manage the staff in Japan and will work closely with the U.S.-Japan Council (U.S.) staff in the United States.
- Lead the U.S.-Japan Council (Japan) and TOMODACHI Initiative in Japan, working with the USJC (Japan) Board of Directors and Board of Councilors, USJC members and USJC staff as required.
- Provide support for meetings of the Board of Directors and Councilors and associated governance requirements.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the Tokyo office, including supervising staff in Japan, and overseeing the management of interns, volunteers and consultants who may be assigned to work.
- Ensure compliance with Council policies and procedures.
- Provide information as required to professional advisors, including legal and financial counsel.
- Manage program plans, budgets, etc., especially as they relate to Strategic Partner (larger, customized) programs.
- Manage and oversee grant-making system of the TOMODACHI Initiative.
- Manage and oversee program assessment and participant survey process.
- Ensure quality program content.
- Ensure reporting and monitoring of programs.
For a full list of responsibilities, please view the job announcement.
How to Apply
To apply, please send CV (resume) and cover letter to Executive_DirectorUSJCJ@usjapancouncil.org (please note the underscore in "Executive_DirectorUSJCJ") with the subject line "Executive Director, U.S.-Japan Council (Japan).” Review of applications will begin January 15, 2016.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.