Executive Director (Silicon Valley)
About the Organization
Silicon Valley Japan Platform (SVJP) is a diversified and enduring platform that connects business, political and cultural leaders of Silicon Valley and Japan to enhance innovation and dynamism originating from the two regions. To realize its mission, SVJP organizes a range of events and programs including: an Annual Retreat in the Bay Area; Annual Forum in Tokyo; Japan Trips of Silicon Valley Leaders; Fellows sessions in the Bay Area; and Silicon Valley Leaders Meals in Tokyo. SVJP has a secretariat located in Silicon Valley and Tokyo.
The Silicon Valley Japan Platform (SVJP) is an initiative of the U.S.-Japan Council (USJC) and the Japan-based Rebuild Japan Initiative Foundation (RJIF).
About the Position
The Executive Director will lead SVJP secretariat in Japan and the United States. The secretariat’s responsibilities will include: general management, programs and events management, membership management, strategic planning and financial management. The position requires an individual who is a strong project manager, flexible, able to multitask and prioritize, takes initiative, well-organized, able to plan and meet deadlines, and a team builder. Travel, especially between Japan and Silicon Valley, is expected.
The SVJP Executive Director will report to the Co-Chairs of SVJP and work closely with the Executive Committee (EC). This position’s geographic location will be Tokyo or Silicon Valley.
Duties and Responsibilities
General Management: Oversight & Management of Silicon Valley Japan Platform (SVJP):
- Set annual goals with the Executive Committee. Review progress periodically.
- Oversee the secretariat in Japan and the United States and own execution. Daily supervision of SVJP staff and external collaborators. Hire, develop and retain additional team members.
- Set annual budgets; ensure income and expense reporting; create financial projections; maintain records, files, reports, and relevant information.
Programs & Events:
- Plan & organize SVJP Annual Retreat, Annual Forum, Tokyo gatherings, Silicon Valley study groups, Japan trips, and other key events. Oversee secretariat to ensure top quality event execution by: setting agenda, sites and logistics; inviting and hosting speakers, members, participants from Japan, the Silicon Valley and other parts of the United States; and arranging media coverage.
- Ensure post-program metrics: quantify & assess output of SVJP programs. Ensure detailed, up-to-date records of events and outcomes.
- Build strong relationship with member company representatives. Develop deep understanding of their needs and reflect in programs and events. Ensure ongoing and effective communications.
- Support development committees in the United States and Japan. Develop brochures and other material to effectively communicate the value of SVJP to potential members.
- Drive the strategic planning process, involving the SVJP Executive Committee.
- Lay out critical choices, and assess resource requirements.
Other Duties as Assigned.
- Minimum 8 years work experience
- Strong project management and team management experience
- Experience working with top companies and business leaders in Japan and the United States
- Exposure to business organizations and conferences preferred
- Oral and written fluency in English and Japanese
- Commitment and passion for the mission and U.S.-Japan ties
- Interest in technology and innovation. Knowledge in the field desirable
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree; preferred Master’s degree in related field
- Experience working in Silicon Valley preferable
- Personal network with top companies and business leaders preferable
If you are interested in applying for this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org