Please read carefully and complete the form below to apply for the 2020 Emerging Leaders Program.
Please make note of these important dates when submitting your application.
- Application deadline: Sunday, September 6, 2020 at 11:59 pm PDT
- Application review period: September
- Notifications: By early October via email to all applicants
- Virtual orientation & class check-ins:
- Orientation: October 9 at 4:00 pm PDT
- Additional dates TBD
- U.S.-Japan Council Signature Series virtual events:
- Members’ Forum: October 15
- Public Symposium: Week of November 16
- Next Generation Summit: December 18
ELP conference, Honolulu, Hawaii: Spring 2021. Dates TBD and subject to the lifting of travel restrictions and local health and safety guidelines.
Candidates for the Emerging Leaders Program should meet the following criteria:
- Japanese American professionals 24-35 years of age in 2020
- Hold U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residency
- Reside in the United States or Japan
- Strong interest in U.S.-Japan relations as demonstrated through professional, academic, extra-curricular or community involvement
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Commitment to remain involved in U.S.-Japan relations by engaging in U.S.-Japan Council programs and initiatives
In making the final selection, diversity of geography, gender, and professional background will also be given consideration.
Program Offerings & Additional Benefits
Selected applicants will be introduced to the Council via a series of virtual events beginning in October 2020, including specially tailored programming designed for leadership development and engagement with the USJC network.
They will also attend the Spring 2021 ELP conference in Honolulu, Hawaii and will receive transportation, hotel accommodations, meals, and registration. Selected applicants will become U.S.-Japan Council Associates with the first year’s membership dues waived (membership is normally by invitation and nomination). Membership will allow delegates to remain engaged and contribute to USJC’s mission.
What You Need to Apply
As part of the application process, candidates will be asked to upload a single PDF packet including the following documents, in the order listed below. All materials must be in English.
- Personal Statement
- Letter of Recommendation (limit 2, may be submitted separately via email)
Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
NOTE: PROGRESS CANNOT BE SAVED ON THIS APPLICATION. Please plan to submit the form in one sitting.