SAVE THE DATE! 2013 USJC 4TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE – WASHINGTON, DC, OCTOBER 3RD-5TH
RISK, REWARD AND INNOVATION: OPPORTUNITIES FOR THE U.S. AND JAPAN
Please be sure to keep your calendars open for the 2013 USJC 4th Annual Conference being held in Washington, DC from October 3rd-4th. The Council will bring together leading subject experts and visionaries to discuss the long-term benefits of taking risks and daring to move from trusted to innovative courses of action. As the U.S. and Japan remain committed to strong and positive relations, exploring versatile collaborations and partnerships is essential to a successful future. Keynote Speakers will include Mr. Hiroaki Nakanishi, President of Hitachi, Ltd., and Dr. Shinya Yamanaka, Recipient of the 2012 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. Conference topics include: global citizenship, higher education, civil society sector, leadership development, media communications, culinary diplomacy, energy entrepreneurship, economic collaboration and navigating the U.S.-Japan relationship in DC and Tokyo.
- October 3rd (5:30pm-7:00 pm): Opening Reception on Capitol Hill
- October 4th (9:00am-7:00 pm): Annual Conference and Closing Reception at the Capital Hilton
JULY TOMODACHI NEWSLETTER OUT TODAY
This summer, the U.S.-Japan Council will help approximately 500 TOMODACHI generation students participate in 26 programs through the TOMODACHI Initative. Programs will bring Americans and Japanese together in Tohoku, invite American students to Japan, and send Japanese students to the United States. Programs will also reunite some participants from last summer’s programs, provide some TOMODACHI alumni opportunities to build on last year’s experiences with new programs, and introduce many more new Americans and Japanese students to each other and to their respective countries.
View today’s “Update from Team TOMODACHI” here.
Click here to receive future updates from Team TOMODACHI!
USJC BOARD OF COUNCILORS MEMBER NORMAN MINETA DELIVERS KEYNOTE ADDRESS
Last week, the Japanese American National Museum (JANM) held a national conference in Seattle, WA. The conference was held in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the Civil Liberties Act of 1988, which granted redress to Japanese Americans forced into internment camps during World War II. On July 6, USJC Board of Councilors member Sec. Norman Mineta delivered a Keynot Address to conference attendees. As a child, Secretary Mineta was held in an internment camp and as a Congressman from San Jose was later involved in passage of the redress bill. After two decades as a legislator, he served as Secretary of Commerce and Secretary of Transportation under the Clinton and George W. Bush administrations, becoming the first Asian American to hold a cabinet position.
More information about JANM’s conference is available here.
U.S.-JAPAN COUNCIL MEMBER NOMINATED TO COMMERCE DEPT. POST
On July 10, President Barack Obama nominated USJC Member Margaret Cummisky, a former aide to the late Hawaii Sen. Daniel K. Inouye, to serve as assistant secretary for legislative and intergovernmental affairs at the U.S. Department of Commerce. Cummisky had worked for Senator Inouye for over 15 years before joining the staff of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation.
More information is available via Pacific Business News here.
U.S. & JAPAN IN THE NEWS
- 4 Million Studying Japanese Abroad
Japan Times, July 08, 2013
- Tommy Lee Jones to Visit Japan to Promote ‘Emperor’
Japan Today, July 08, 2013
- Election Viewpoints: Parties Divided Over Foreign Diplomacy
Mainichi Daily News, July 08, 2013
- U.S. Hoping Upper House Poll Puts End to Political Instability
Japan Times, July 06, 2013
- Japanese Producing More Cars in U.S.
The Columbus Dispatch, July 05, 2013
- Electoral Reform in Japan: Where it Counts
The Economist, July 06, 2013
- Nikkei Ends at 1-Month High on Optimism Over U.S. Data, ECB Support
Mainichi Daily News, July 05, 2013
- Japan Says Building Nuclear Safety Culture Will Take a Long Time
Reuters, July 04, 2013
- Would Affirmative Action Help Women in Japan?
The Wall Street Journal, July 04, 2013
- Ban Lifted, Japan’s Politicians Race Online
The New York Times, July 04, 2013
- Honda, GM Plan to Establish Alliance for Fuel-Cell Vehicle Development
The Japan News, July 03, 2013
- Japanese Minister of Defense Honors American Veterans
DVIDS, July 03, 2013
- France Honors Nisei Veterans
Rafu Shimpo, July 02, 2013
- Suntory Shares Rise in Trading Debut
The Wall Street Journal, July 03, 2013
- Facebook’s Sandberg “Likes” Japan PM Abe’s Posts
The Wall Street Journal, July 02, 2013
- Japan Business Sentiment Hits Highest Point in Two Years
The New York Times, July 01, 2013
- 45% Will Vote for LDP in Upper House’s Proportional Segment
Mainichi Daily News, July 01, 2013
- Japan Spends Millions in Order to be Cool
Time, July 01, 2013
- Plan to Allow U.S., Japan Military Access to Phil Bases Met by Opposition
Phil Star, June 29, 2013