OVERVIEW OF ROLE
Marketing & Communications Manager is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive strategic communications program to develop the profile and brand of TOMODACHI Initiative and U.S.-Japan Council among a diverse audience and stakeholders, including senior corporate executives, government leaders, program participants, donors, press and the general public. The Marketing & Communications Manager will work closely with teams within the TOMODACHI Initiative and the U.S.-Japan Council in the implementation of this mission, as well as with the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo. Teleworking is allowed and the main office is located in central Tokyo.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy in collaboration with the TOMODACHI team.
- Direct social media activities and place timely topics of TOMODACHI Initiative to engage audiences across traditional and new media.
- Proactively pitch to the media to achieve positive exposure for the TOMODACHI Initiative and the U.S.-Japan Council as an organization.
- Build the reputation of TOMODACHI and the TOMODACHI brand through excellent media relations, public relations activities, events and communications.
- Develop effective communications materials, including flyers, PowerPoint slides, speeches, newsletters, TOMODACHI annual reports, and a promotional video.
- Update and maintain the website and social media.
- Provide high-quality writing in both English and Japanese, including press releases, website, social media, etc.
- Manage relationships with partner organizations, including communication advisors, PR firms, consulting/advertising/design firms, and freelance writers as appropriate.
- Respond to the press as well as other donors/recipients/partners and internal stakeholders with requests for information/content.
- Ensure coordination and integration of marketing and communications between all TOMODACHI partners, including the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo, the Government of Japan and the U.S.-Japan Council.
- Manage the use of the TOMODACHI logo, and the development and use of TOMODACHI merchandise.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Strategic thinker with strong interpersonal, analytical and execution skills.
- Proven track record of successful social media activities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Japanese that will allow easy collaboration with many different stakeholders, including corporate leaders, senior government officials, and the press.
- A native speaker of Japanese with fluency in English (required).
- Self-motivation and ability to excel in a fast-paced and unstructured environment.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills, including the ability to work under tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to work independently and on a team.
- Demonstrated commitment to U.S.-Japan relations and professional experience working in the U.S.-Japan issues.
- Experience and understanding of non-profit settings preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience in a marketing communications role or in a communications field, e.g. PR, public affairs, or journalism.
- Familiarity with web development, and comfort using various social media outlets.
- Proven ability to take concepts and write copy suitable for website or presentations in both English and Japanese.
- Bachelor’s degree (required) or above.
Candidates should provide a cover letter, resume and 2-3 professional references to [email protected]. Please make sure you submit all necessary information and documents.
Successful candidates will be requested for a virtual or in-person interview. Your resume and submitted documents are kept confidential and will not be used for any other purposes than recruiting.
Annual salary will be based on experience and qualification of the candidate. The U.S.-Japan Council does not sponsor visas to work in Japan or fund relocation.