PHOTOS FROM JAPAN WEEK 2013
Thank you to all of our Board Members, Council Members, sponsors and friends who made Japan Week 2013 a success. It was thrilling to see the support for USJC’s mission in Japan, and a special thanks to those who traveled from the U.S. to participate in our great programs.
Visit USJC’s Flickr page to see photos from several of the Japan Week events, including ourJapan Symposium, an opening reception honoring Senator Daniel K. Inouye, the USJC/ACCJ Women in Business Summit and our NPO Summit, “Investing in the Future of Japan through Non-profit Organizations.”
Do you have photos from Japan Week 2013 you wish to share? Contact Communications & Programs Coordinator Tim White at [email protected].
FEATURED VIDEO: CHEF ROY YAMAGUCHI
This week’s video features USJC Board of Councilors Member Roy Yamaguchi. Roy discusses how he left Japan, got involved in cooking, and the role friendship plays in his food and business.
See interviews and other videos on our YouTube channel here.
REGISTRATION OPEN FOR THE 2013 EMERGING LEADERS PROGRAM
The U.S.-Japan Council Emerging Leaders Program is an interactive, educational program designed to encourage the next generation of leaders to act as first movers, innovators and entrepreneurs in their professional fields.
Each year, a pool of young Japanese American professionals is chosen from across the country to attend the U.S.-Japan Council Annual Conference and Annual Members Meeting. Emerging Leaders also participate in specialized leadership training programs at the conference. The conference is a forum for education and networking among the highest levels of leadership in business, public policy, academia, journalism and community organizations. By providing access to education on cutting-edge topics and mentorship opportunities with senior leaders, the program aims to motivate young professionals to pursue activities promoting strong and positive U.S.-Japan relations.
Click here to download a flyer with additional information.
Click here to download the 2013 Emerging Leaders Program application.
INTRODUCING THE 2013 TOMODACHI-MITSUI & CO. LEADERSHIP PROGRAM AMERICAN DELEGATION!
The TOMODACHI Initiative recently announced its selection of ten American professionals from the business and government sectors to participate in the inaugural TOMODACHI-Mitsui & Co. Leadership Program. This new program is a unique bicultural exchange with delegations representing both the United States and Japan.
A two-day orientation program was held in Los Angeles on June 7-8 facilitated by Irene Hirano Inouye, President, U.S.-Japan Council and Kaz Maniwa, Senior Vice President of the same. Dr. Greg Kimura, President & CEO, Japanese American National Museum (JANM), also made welcoming remarks. The TOMODACHI-Mitsui & Co. Leadership Program, with its ethnic and geographic diversity, mirrors the changing demographics of the Japanese American community.
Mitsui & Co., Ltd. is funding this TOMODACHI program for the next three years. JANM was selected to host the orientation as the museum is recognized as a center of the community’s history and identity and a focus point for its creativity and envisioning for the future.
REMINDER: TOMODACHI NEWSLETTER
If you would like to receive more information about TOMODACHI programs, initiatives and events, be sure to subscribe to the dedicated TOMODACHI newsletter. June’s update can be seen here.
U.S. & JAPAN IN THE NEWS
- Kishida, Onodera Set to Attend Okinawa Memorial Service
Japan Times, June 13, 2013
- U.S. Retail Investors Stick With Japan
The Wall Street Journal, June 12, 2013
- Japan Baseball Under Fire for Switching Balls
The New York Times, June 12, 2013
- ISS Backs SoftBank-Sprint Deal After Offer Sweetened
Reuters, June 12, 2013
- Japanese and U.S. Leaders Hopeful About Next Generation
Rafu Shimpo, June 11, 2013
- U.S., Japan Leading Recovery in Major Economies: OECD
Reuters, June 10, 2013
- SDF Joint Landing Drill in U.S. Still a Go
Japan Times, June 10, 2013
- Soros’ Fund Resumes Japanese Stock Buying
The Japan News, June 09, 2013
- Miracle Pine Tree in Rikuzentakata Rises Again
Mainichi Daily News, June 10, 2013
- Japan is a Model, Not a Cautionary Tale
The New York Times, June 09, 2013
- Why Abe has Staying Power
The Wall Street Journal, June 07, 2013
- House Urges Obama Address Currency Manipulation in Asia Trade Talks
Reuters, June 06, 2013
- George Takei on America’s Tragic Past and Bright Future
Forbes, June 04, 2013
- Bob Fletcher Dies at 101; Saved Farms of Interned Japanese Americans
The Los Angeles Times, June 04, 2013
- Japan’s Right-Wing Politicians: Making a Hash of History
The Economist, June 03, 2013
- Fukushima Tuna Study Finds Minuscule Health Risks
CNN, June 04, 2013
- Japan’s Involvement in U.S. Military Drill ‘Unprecedented’
The Wall Street Journal, June 04, 2013
- Japan Becomes First to Qualify for World Cup After Honda Equalizer
Japan Times, June 04, 2013
- In Japan, New Policy Spurs Solar Power Boom
The Washington Post, June 04, 2013
- Apple Joins Other Foreign Brands in Raising Prices in Japan
Reuters, May 31, 2013