The U.S.-Japan Council, together with the U.S.-Japan Council (Japan), is pleased to present its 2022 Annual Conference from October 27-28 at the Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel in Tokyo.
As the first in-person conference since 2019 and the onset of the global COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s theme “The Great Reconnect: Strengthening Alliances, Partnerships and Communities” brings together regional, national and international leaders of diverse geographic and professional backgrounds to share insights and forward-focused ideas for a fast-changing world. With conversations centered around climate and sustainability, technology and innovation, and diversity and next generation leadership, all friends of the U.S.-Japan partnership are invited to convene for this important bilateral dialogue featuring a lineup of prominent and diverse speakers including:
- Jasper Cheung, President, Amazon Japan
- Rahm Emanuel, U.S. Ambassador to Japan
- Robert Feldman, Senior Advisor, Morgan Stanley MUFG Securities
- David Ige, Governor of Hawaii
- KAMEZAWA Hironori, President & Group CEO of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc.
- KOIKE Yuriko, Governor of Tokyo
- Katrina Lake, Founder and former CEO, Stitch Fix
- MAKIHARA Hideki, Member, House of Representatives, Diet of Japan
- Carissa Moore, Olympic Gold Medalist in Short Board Surfing
- NAGANO Tsuyoshi, Chairman, Tokio Marine
- Gill Pratt, Chief Scientist, Toyota Motor Corporation and CEO, Toyota Research Institute
- SAWADA Jun, Chairman, NTT Corporation
- Sputniko! (Hiro Ozaki)
- Sylvester Turner, Mayor of Houston, TX
- …and more! (Click here to see all speakers.)
The many dimensions of the U.S.-Japan relationship will be reflected in the Annual Conference’s plenary and breakout sessions on topics that include:
- Leveraging Subnational Action to Solve Global Problems: Governors and a mayor representing the United States and Japan will explore the potential for national and international impact of regional action.
- The Science and Practices of Sustainability: A fireside chat featuring scientists and corporate sustainability leaders looks at corporate efforts to achieve environmentally sustainable practices.
- Leadership and Mental Wellness: A roundtable discussion featuring mental health experts and government leaders will explore strategies and goals for implementing systems for supporting mental wellness.
- Great Expectations: Leadership for These Times: Unique obstacles of the 2020s have confounded the challenge of leading global companies. Senior Executives will comment on corporate leadership through the pandemic, civil rights concerns and climate responsibilities.
- Women’s Leadership – Journeys & Lessons A panel will offer an exchange of insights, ideas and experiences of diverse female leaders.
- Web 3.0 and NFT Generative Fine Art: A presentation by Sputniko! on the new intersection of technology and art.
The USJC Annual Conference will also honor the Council’s late founding president, Irene Hirano Inouye, by featuring next generation voices in a special tribute and by engaging student and young professional leaders throughout the program. The Council will also launch a special ELP 50 program featuring business exchanges and networking opportunities for alumni of the Emerging Leaders Program prior to the conference.
The full agenda, including a list of speakers, can be found here.