Please read carefully and complete the form below to apply for the 2023 Emerging Leaders Program.
Please make note of these important dates when submitting your application.
- Informational sessions with ELP alumni (optional):
- Session 1 – Wednesday June 28, 5:00-6:00 pm (PT)
- Session 2 – Thursday, July 6, 5:00-6:00 pm (PT)
Please register here if you are interested in attending.
- Application Deadline: July 16, 2023, 11:59 PM (PT)
- Application review period: July-August
- Notifications: Mid-September via email to all applicants
- Pre-Conference Orientation (virtual): October 11, 4:00pm (PT)
- 2023 U.S.-Japan Council Annual Conference: November 7-11 in Washington, DC
- Post-Conference debrief (virtual): December 7, 3:00pm (PT)
Criteria and Eligibility
- Japanese American professionals 24-35 years of age at the time of the Conference.
- Hold U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residency.
- Applicants must reside in the United States or Japan, and must be available to travel to Washington, DC for the Annual Conference in November.
- Strong interest in U.S.-Japan relations as demonstrated through professional, academic, extra-curricular or community involvement.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Commitment to remain involved in U.S.-Japan relations by engaging in U.S.-Japan Council programs and initiatives.
In making the final selection, diversity of geography, gender and professional background will be given consideration.
Connect with USJC’s global community of diverse leaders and develop professional skills, strengthen networks, and build powerful relationships through participation in ELP. Selected applicants will receive transportation, hotel accommodations, meals, and Conference registration. Additionally, at the Conference they will become U.S.-Japan Council Associates with the first year’s membership dues waived (membership is normally by invitation and nomination). Participants will also be invited to participate in ELP alumni and USJC regional programming throughout the year.
What You Need to Apply
As part of the application process, candidates will be asked to upload a PDF packet including documents 1-3 below, as well as a short introductory video. All materials must be in English.
- Personal Statement
- Letter(s) of Recommendation (limit 2, may be submitted separately via email)
- Short video (see prompt in application form below, limit 3 minutes)
- Other online materials to help us get to know you (optional)
Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
NOTE: PROGRESS CANNOT BE SAVED ON THIS APPLICATION. Please plan to submit the form in one sitting. If the form appears to be cut off in your browser, place your cursor on the text and scroll down.
(If you have trouble accessing the form below, you may also fill it out here.)