The USJC Next Generation Summit will give light to the voices of the young and emerging leaders in our community, including U40 members, TOMODACHI alumni and Watanabe scholars, on the lessons learned from this year of change and the power of resilience. Themes will focus on the ripple effect of social justice movements, mentorship through virtual connectedness, the value of cultural exchange in times of crisis and perspectives of resilience from the next generation. You will hear from our rising stars and future leaders who will take part in critical dialogues around building vision and hope to empower each other to take action during these challenging and uncertain times.
The Summit will be organized into two days: the first day will be open to the public on a range of topics mentioned above. Day 2 will be an opportunity for participants from Day 1 to take part in workshops and discussions focused on the three themes: Reflective, Resilient, and Revolutionary. One workshop will help participants reflect on their leadership styles in times of crisis through the distributed leadership model developed by MIT professors; another workshop will focus on disaster resilience and the skills needed for preparedness and better communication; and the third workshop will be the TOMODACHI Critical Conversations Part 3. This workshop was inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement and will create a safe space for honest peer-to-peer dialogue on these critical issues. Public Session: Open to all. No registration fee.
Workshop Session: Open to those who register for the Public Session. No registration fee. Simultaneous interpretation will be available.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Public Session (Day 1)
Dec. 11, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm ET // Dec. 12, 8:30 am – 10:30 am JT
- Welcome & Opening Remarks
- Panel: Reflection of Study Abroad Experiences and Resilience in the New Normal
- TOMODACHI Alumni Speakers, Part 1
- Special Remarks Panel: Leadership Lessons Learned from 2020 (Year of Change)
- TOMODACHI Alumni Speakers, Part 2
- TOMODACHI Critical Conversations: Voices Within – How is BLM Reshaping Conversations About Discrimination?
Workshop Session (Day 2)
Dec. 12, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm ET // Dec. 13, 8:30 am – 10:30 am JT
These workshops are open to those who register for Day 1. You will receive an invitation separately.
- Welcome Remarks Breakout Sessions
- Reflective (Leadership Style)
- Resilient (Disaster Resilience)
- Revolutionary (Critical Conversations)
- Networking Closing Remarks
Presenting Sponsor for the Next Generation Summit